Located on the 2nd floor
16th Judicial Circuit
37W777 IL Route 38, St. Charles, IL 60175
The Kane County Law Library & Self Help Legal Center (KCLL) in support of the American Association of Law Libraries professional ethics (AALL Handbook) will supply a limited amount of photocopies free of charge to incarcerated individuals if they have no other means of acquiring the information.
In no way is the Kane County Law Library & Self Help Legal Center legally obligated to supply this service. The KCLL staff is within their legal right to deny service due to abuse, including rude or harrassing behavior, made by the requesting individual.
1. Only requests from inmates housed in the Kane County Adult Justice Center will be fulfilled.
2. If a lawyer is representing an inmate, the KCLL will not accommodate an information request for that case. If there is a question as to whether the inmate is representing themselves or not, it is the responsibility of the inmate to supply the KCLL with a court order stating that they are representing themselves.
3. Requests must be for specific citations. General requests and requests for Illinois Compiled Statute sections will not be fulfilled [Local Crt Rule 1.04,
20 IL Adm. Code
§701.230] nor will requests for print materials already made accessible by the Kane County Adult Justice Center be supplied.
Form of acceptable requests:
Form of unacceptable requests:
4. Requests for entire chapters of material or citations that encompass more than fifty (50) pages of material may be denied based on copyright compliance and/or limited staff time and resources.
5. Requests may be made by mail via the U.S. Postal Service, or through the kiosks in the inmate housing units.
Requests must include the name of the inmate making the request, their inmate number, and case number for which they are requesting the information.
Requests made by mail should be addressed to:
Kane County Law Library & Self Help Legal Center
37 W. 777 Rt. 38
St. Charles IL 60175
6. Requests are limited to 10 (ten) citations / cases per month, per inmate. Requests for information previously supplied to an individual inmate will not be accommodated.
7. All good faith efforts will be made by law library staff to respond to requests within two business days.
The Kane County Law Library & Self Help Legal Center will not accept telephone calls from incarcerated individuals.
please note that all policies contained herein are subject to change without notice